Saturday 13 October 2007

A week in Reading

Attended the first module of the course for a week in Reading last week. It was really tiring as I have to wake up at 6+ in the morning to catch the 8am train from Paddington. It only takes 25 minutes on a fast train but that cost more than 20 pounds for the return fare. Public transport in the UK isn't the best but the most expensive! Sometimes I don't even get a seat during the peak commute hours!

First module was on the Principles of Project Management, where we combined with the students taking MSc Project Management, met one of my colleague Anita in the lecture and got to know some friends from different backgrounds and companies. That's one of the advantages taking a MSc - get to know more people in the industry.

Overall the module lectures are ok, with lecturers from both academic and private/public sectors sharing their knowledge and industrial experience. It's amazing to meet some of them whom I read their books many years ago.

It's a smart move to put it as the first module especially to me as I manage people and time poorly. It did motivates and inspires me a bit. Basically 'project' can be about anything, is to "achieve an objective with a start and end time".

There are several projects ahead which I need to close, either short or long term...
  • The master degree of course.
  • Assessment of Professional Competence, that's on the critical path too as I hope I can complete it together with the MSc.
  • After I achieve the above, hopefully within the planned period of time. I plan to do an 1 or 2 months back-pack/bike tour across Asia, China to be exact to find my roots. (My colleague Francois inspired me, he'll be on a 3 months bike tour going back to his hometown South Africa). It'll be tough but that's something I must achieve when I still have the energy.
  • The fitness project, I had gained 2kg successfully for the past 2 and half month, targeting another 2 kg before December holiday break and to hit 70kg before March 2008. Of course it's not just about the weight but for the health.
  • Last but not least is the project woman, a bit complicated at the moment but hopefully can sort it out soon.
2 years used to be quite long when I was younger but now it seems I have too little time to hesitate any longer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just got time to go through your blog. Adam's step sis and her bf is travelling around the world on their bike. They started off in Malaysia then to Australia for 6 months and they are now in South America and have been there for a year already.

If you need a little bit more motivation, check their blog out http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/hameandem/

Good luck with your projects.