Tuesday 2 October 2007

Rock Climbing @ YMCA

For the past few Mondays, I kept watching the rock climbing group practicing in the gym. Finally today I stepped up and asked the instructor whether I can join or not.

I was given a declaration form to confirm that I am doing this willingly and will be responsible for any consequences at my own risk...

To be honest, I am very scare of height and will feel dizzy and my legs will become strengthless when I look down from tall buildings. It's a challenge for myself to overcome my fear. The instructor Andy is very experienced and he guided me and the other newbie Mark on the safety rules and various basic rope knots tying techniques.

Climbers usually work in pairs, with one climbing and the other belaying. The role of the belayer is very important and must be alert at all time to 'lock off' the rope in case the climber falls. I was surprised that I managed to climb up the 5-6m wall at different difficulty levels without falling even once.

It's a sports where strength, endurance, and mental control, as well as agility and balance, are required to cope with tough, dangerous physical challenges. I enjoyed it very much and think I will join the class regularly.

I love YMCA~

No comments: