Saturday 23 February 2008

M42 Photography

DSLR photography can be an expensive hobby. Once you get a DSLR body, you'll start looking at the lens for different range and purpose, which can be even more expensive than the body. I found the cheap option - the M42 lens mount which is also known as Praktica or Pentax thread mount. These lens can be found cheap on eBay or second hand shop.

You have to get one of these M42 adapter specially made for different mounts. For my understanding, it works well on Sony/Minolta and Canon but not on Nikon as it can't focus to infinity. I got one for my A mount from eBay for USD$10. Btw don't get it from the China seller, 3 weeks delivery in the modern world just doesn't make sense!

Got my first M42 lens from eBay for £11 + pp - a Japanese made Helios 135mm F2.8 (I thought it's Russian made initially)

I guess this lens is older than me, should be 30 to 40 years old.

Brought it for a test near Tower Bridge overlooking River Thames and the surrounding.

Photo taken at F16, shutter speed unrecorded. For such a cheap lens, the performance is quite acceptable. Anyway I was struggling with the manual focus but I do enjoy the challenge.

Shooting the Gherkin at an angle I never thought of before with a tele lens. In fact I never really thought of taking landscape pictures with a tele lens. My favourite shot of the day.

Stalking people on the bridge at F2.8

It works well on portraiture.

An useful M42 database website - M42 artlimited.

Too many lenses in my camera bag and dry box now and I don't know which lens to bring every time I'm out taking pictures. Perhaps I should get the A200 as second body? (stop thinking about that!!!) And... I just won my second M42 lens on eBay, a Russian made Jupiter 9 85mm F2.0, can't wait for its arrival!

1 comment:

hijackie23 said...

Hey, I got a same lens from ebay for £10 few weeks ago. Just came back from outdoor test shotting. Seems your results are much better than mine, I got lots of "Purple Fringe" when I fully open to f2.8. But it's interesting that found your blogger when I search around with this lens. We got many common interests. I added you on flickr just now and I am hijackie23. See you there ;)