Sunday 3 June 2007

Photoshop Technique 1 - Desaturating Part of An Image

Talking about modern photography, Photoshop is an essential tool for the photographer to enhance his works. I have always wanted to learn it and today thanks to Joey who had given a big hand for the first step.

Original picture taken at Covent Garden

Too many objects in the picture and my main point when taking the picture was on the baby.

To make it stand out from all the other components of the picture I think the best way would be to desaturate all except the main object.

It's good to seek advise from the expert, Joey made it looks easy by teaching me the following steps:
  1. Use the polygonal lasso tool to select the object that you want to remain in colors
  2. Select -> Inverse too choose the 'unwanted' background
  3. Image -> adjustment -> desaturate (or Ctrl + Shift + U) to turn the background into B&W
  4. Blur tool can be used to blur the background but not in this case as I want to keep all the details, just to make the baby stands out of the the crowd.
The result:

This is really useful and I really love it :)

No comments: