Sunday 22 July 2007

HDR High Dynamic Range Image

I have seen some excellent HDR (High Dynamic Range) pictures on some forums and decided to learn the technique. It's a technique to create images with a more detail in the highlights and shadows, blending of same photo at different exposures.

Found this excellent tutorial and had my first attempt on creating an HDR image.

I downloaded the trial version of Photomatix. There is a HDR function in Photoshop but I had problem with it that it says there's not enough details for the image I used, even though I saved it in TIFF 32bits.

2 methods to get the same image at different exposures, first is to use a tripod and take few pictures at different EV exposures, I don't have any in my HD that's why I use the second method - use a RAW file and create few images at different exposures.

The original photo, taken at Pantheon, Paris, you can see Eiffel Tower at far sight. I like the mood but there is not enough details on highlight of the sky.

Adjust the EV to -2 in RAW, for the details of the sky.

Third picture at EV+2, all these are saved in TIFF format for more details.

Open the 3 files in the programme and click 'generate HDR'.

Not done yet, proceed with the key tool of the programme - Tone Mapping to adjust the luminosity, saturation, micro-contrast, strength etc.

Here's the final product and my first attempt on creating a HDR image. Too bad it comes with Photomatix watermark on the trial version... USD$99 for the license... let me think about it...

Some people made it way too different from the original photo, looks more like piece of pure graphic artwork, which I think that's not the original purpose of HDR. Anyway I quite like the effect and certainly will try more.

Another useful tutorial on HDR using Photoshop can be found here, here and there's a HDR group on flickr.

No comments: